Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sand Tarts and Chicken Paprikash

Recently I reviewed the recipes in my recipe box. Do ya’ll remember those old recipe boxes on the 3x5 cards. I still have one I started back in the 70’s. Sometime along the way someone stole some of my recipes – I know who steals someone else’s recipes but she did. Anyway this is one of those old ones. The recipe cards have food stains and grease stains on them from the good memories over the years. I decided to try a few of them as it’s been prob 20 yrs since I made some of those recipes. I’m gonna share some of them with you all.

I have lots of memories making these with my kids. They helped roll the raw dough and were right there to taste the first ones from the oven. These little cookies are melt in your mouth good. Pecans are perfect in this cookie. I always use pure butter and premium brands for extracts and flavorings. I always say that if your gonna go thru the trouble to make something yummy from scratch you want to get the best tasting results for your homemade batch of goodies.

Sand Tarts
2 sticks butter
5 Tbl confectioners sugar
2 cups plain flour
2 t vanilla
1 t butter flav
1-1/2 c chopped pecans

Cream butter mixing about one minute.  Add powdered sugar and flavorings. Add flour and work into the mixture and the nuts. Form into shapes, I just make little logs with mine. Place on a ungreased baking sheet. I use parchment paper on my cookie sheets and this gives cookies a pretty bottom. Bake at 325 for about 14 minutes. I try to be precise on the cooking time. I prefer to undercook cookies about 1 minute to ensure I have a pretty bottom. Immediately place hot cookies on/in powdered sugar to coat them.

....................................................................................................................................................................

My family loved this way back in the day. I probably haven’t made it in 25 years. I recently cooked this up and oh my goodness – it is better than I remembered it to be. I will definitely be cooking this up again.

Chicken Paprikash
1 chicken (I used chicken breast – boneless/skinless)
¼ c melted butter
½ c chopped onion
¼ c plain flour
2 tea salt
2 Tbl paprika
¼ tea pepper
1 can Campbells Chicken Broth
2 c sour cream
½ tea Worcestershire
1 8oz egg noodles

Lightly brown chicken in butter. Remove and set aside. Saute onion in drippings. Blend in flour, salt, pepper, and paprika. Cook over low until bubbly. Gradually add chicken broth and stir until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and Worcestershire sauce.  Cook noodles according to package directions. Combine noodles and some of sauce and mix together. Spoon noodles in a casserole dish. Top with chicken and remaining sauce. Bake at 325 for about 1 hour. I always check my foods about 5 minutes before cooking time is up to prevent overcooking.

9 comments:

  1. Once again those Sand Tarts sound so divine. I used to cook the chicken dish all the time when my kids were at home. Maybe I'll give it a whirl again :0) Thanks for sharing these yummy tidbits with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you are a wonderful cook/baker. I like the idea of the sand tarts I'm going to try with the gradkids I think it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipes sound delicious, Becca. My mom used to make a cookie very similar to your sand tarts, but I think she had another name for them. I remember how good they were. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delish Becca and I am booking marking it. Always on a quest for a new chicken recipe. A lot of the staple dishes from back in the day are coming back in vogue, glad you brought this one back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha I thought you were off to the beach with sand tarts but I am sure this tastes much better, they sound really yummy. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny I was just this morning looking at my 30 year old recipes and how stained they were and wondering if I should rewrite them in a book and give them to my granddaughter for her to save until she has a family.
    Wanted to come by and say hello and to tell you about my giveaway that is long over due on my site.
    Sorry Honey I thought I was already a follower of yours.
    But I am now
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both these recipes sound fabulous. This is my first visit to your blog so I took a bit of time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will definetely be trying out these recipes. I'm especially excited about the chicken recipe as I've run out of dinnertime inspiration and it sounds delicious and not overly complicated.

    I had to laugh when you mentioned the old 70s recipe boxes. I found my mother's after she passed and reorganized it and I have it on my kitchen counter and use it often. It's so cute and I love it. The more stained a recipe card is, the better the recipe must be because it was obviously used often.

    Thank you for sharing the recipes! I'm your newest follower.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I apologize if I left you two comments. You don't have to publish both. I was afraid the first one got eaten by blogger and my second was much shorter because I lost my gusto after the first disappeared. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at my blog and to leave a comment. I read and appreciate each of you for commenting. I hope that you have found something that leaves you wanting more...